Snake Identification August 21, 2014, 8:56pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Shawnee Mountain Bike Association    General Boards    Events  ›  Snake Identification
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Snake Identification  This thread currently has 5,281 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Edward C.
June 6, 2010, 5:02pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Reputation Score: +3 / -0
Yesterday my wife and I rode on the Canal Loop. We came across a snake next to the trail. It was basicly black.; It's head was flattened and spread out. When aproached it would hiss loudly. It was not a viper as it's eyes were on the side of it's head. It was possibly 2 feet long and a little on the fat side. Would anybody know what kind of snake that might be?
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message
jeepster
June 6, 2010, 5:51pm Report to Moderator

If you're not first . . . . you're last . . .
Administrator Group
Administrator
Reputation Score: +0 / -2
Logged Offline
Site E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Eli
June 7, 2010, 4:45pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Hey Edward. A Hognose snake. called a Spreading Adder, or in Pope Co. I would call it a Spread Natter.

P. S. I wrote your name in the dirt at the end of trail ( Millsprings ) on Azotus road. Did you see it?
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Edward C.
June 7, 2010, 7:45pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Sounds like you have identified the snake. It was plane black and spread out.
I didn't see the writing at Mill Springs at the road. Last wednesday it had rained before we got there and it was a muddy mess. When did you ride it? We ride it every wednesday eve. at 5:00.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Eli
June 7, 2010, 9:33pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Was out driving, was coming from Hamburg, Poco road to Aztous road, to Bay City, to Rosebud.
Do you ever cross Aztous road, and ride? A ton of trails on that side. One day I will make that ride, with you guys.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
JW3
June 8, 2010, 4:03pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Reputation Score: +6 / -1
Ed has a 1/2 mile extension across Azota Church Road that is really sweet single track.  There is  trail heading east on the map about 1 mile north of there but I've never ridden it.   We ride out to Azota Church road every Wed night.

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Edward C.
June 9, 2010, 10:28am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Greg. We have about one half of a mile across Azotus Road that we ride. The rest of that side of the road has never recovered from the ice storms. No one has opened that side up, not even the deer hunters, and it is an unpassible mess.  
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
JW3
June 11, 2010, 11:05am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Reputation Score: +6 / -1
Greg we did a trail that you would Love on the west side of Azoda Church Road this past Wed.  There was tall grass with tons of hidden wet logs laying parallel to the trail and lots of crazy slick muddy ravines and deep soft sand.  All that being said it was a ton of fun.  It's the old trail that goes from Man Lake to Azoda Church Road past that area with the cave.  The trail has just been temporary rerouted to zig zag back and forth across the original wagon trail that is cut deep into the landscape.  The trail we ride on Wed nights is the one that leaves the Mill Springs parking lot and goes south just a bit into Massac County then follows the ridge out to Azoda Church Road.

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Shawnee Mountain Bike Association    General Boards    Events  ›  Snake Identification